Effort to change rules in CA not doing so hot
Friday, September 28th, 2007
The drive to have California’s electoral votes awarded by congressional district instead of a winner-take-all system seems to have run into some trouble. The LA Times reports that the campaign is now short on money… and staff.
Unable to raise sufficient money and angered over a lack of disclosure by its one large donor, veteran political law attorney Thomas Hiltachk, who drafted the measure, said he was resigning from the committee.
Hiltachk’s departure is a major blow to the operation because he organized other consultants who had set about trying to raise money and gather signatures for the initiative. Campaign spokesman Kevin Eckery said he was ending his role as well.
There remained a chance that the measure could be revived, but only if a major donor were to come forward to fund the petition drive. However, time is short to gather the hundreds of thousands of signatures needed by the end of November. And backers said Thursday that they believed the measure was all but dead, at least for the 2008 election.
Could have been the actor Bradley Whitford’s YouTube plea to the citizens of California that stopped the initiative? Guess we’ll never know.
Previously on WT?BLOG
Alter: C.A. GOP, N.C. Dems trying to steal elections?